1. Hi! I’m back! I went to Texas! Yay! It was very exciting and fun, and also slightly scary and overwhelming. Mainly fun and exciting, though. Austin is beautiful, and SXSW is just the most interesting convention in the whole wide world.
2. Exciting and weird, though. Amidst all the interesting talks and cool networking parties in the schedule, I found this. My initial comment still stands -eh?!
3. Also, I hate flying. Like, really hate it. I always seem to get lumbered with the git who puts their seat back immediately and keeps it there for the whole flight sitting in front of me. Have you ever tried eating your meal with two inches of space? It’s not easy.
4. I was dreading airline food but actually, it was pretty good. Especially on the way out. AA seemed to think that the best way to keep us happy was to continually chuck food at us so barely an our went by without another drink and/or snack. They know me so well.
5. Also, the food in Austin was AMAZING. I’m probably going to do a couple of posts entitled “What I Ate In Austin”, but for now here’s my favourite – a farmer’s omelette. A three egg omelette stuffed with big chunks of ham, onion and sweet potato, served with artisan bread and jam and more fried potato. I will try and make a version to blog about, promise.
6. Coming back was not good. Having experienced 10 hours of flying on the way out I was not looking forward to it again coming in. Then I called a taxi company who told me I’d have to wait two hours for a flight, and my flight left in two and a half hours. Eeeek! I managed to call a driver direct for him to pick me up, but I was standing outside the rented house with my suitcase crying. Not a great start to the journey.
7. But then I found ice-cream with my name on it at the airport.
8. And had a HUGE shock when I stepped out of Heathrow. I’d been used to bright weather and sunny skies, and to come back to a snowy/rainy London was in absolutely no way at all nice. I mean, just LOOK at the Austin weather. Then look out your window. Yeah. Not nice.
9. When does jet lag wear off, please? I had Wednesday off and ended up napping on and off all day. I spent Thursday and Friday absolutely exhausted and barely able to concentrate. I had a four-hour nap yesterday and I slept for 10 hours last night. When am I going to be awake like a normal person?
10. I had to buy a replacement charger for my Macbook Pro yesterday. It was £65. Trying very, very hard not to think of all the things I could have bought with £65. A meal out, or two, or even three if we’d stuck to Nando’s. Two new dresses. Two pairs of shoes. Five new books. Sob.
Have you had a good fortnight?
Love, Amy xxx