1. HI GUYS! It’s been my first one of these in over a month. I’m pleading busy-ness, but it’s absolutely in part just the fact that I’m incredibly, incredibly lazy sometimes and Christmas knocked me for six. Back now, though!
2. Part of the reason I’ve been so lazy is that my work life has ramped up. Since July 2012 I’ve been working for a startup and most of my time (As in, around 90% of it) has been spent working from home. We moved into our office on December 7th and I’ve had to start COMMUTING. Spending an hour a day smooshed up in someone’s armpit on a train and then another 40 minutes scurrying furiously along busy roads trying to keep up with everyone is hard. It takes a lot out of you. The plus side is our office is lovely, and has a very good coffee machine. It took me a while to realise that all that coffee was the reason my anxiety was suddenly off the scale, but it was nice whilst it lasted.
3. Funny thing happened to me in December. I say funny, I mean mortifying. I was supposed to go to a friend’s Christmas party. I was very nervous and so met a friend for a glass of mulled wine beforehand. I proceeded to get incredibly, incredibly drunk off one beaker of mulled wine. I was giggling, falling over in the loo of the cafe we were in, swaying slightly, peeling stickers off my gloves and sticking them to my companion’s face, everything. I decided to skip the party as turning up waving a box of home-made mince pies and a bottle of wine in that state would not have been good, and instead wandered off to Covent Garden where I spent so long in the Paperchase branch there, just picking things up and putting them down again, that the manager asked if I was ok three times. I repeat, this is off ONE beaker of mulled wine.
4. A less mortifying thing that happened is that I went for breakfast with the ever delightful Lauren and we ended up sitting next to Jamie bloody Oliver. Mum is very cross that I didn’t get a photo with him.
5. I was at home for Christmas. Bertie was as adorable as ever. He’s two years old now, you’d think he’d’ve calmed down, but…nope. I also love that he still isn’t sure how to work his incredibly long legs, and occasionally does things like this.
6. And then, there was Nan. You can read allll about her exploits this Christmas over at @AlmaGertie, but here’s a snippet of when I took her out for the day. We went to see Walter Mitty, which she declared “boring” and “with no story”. This is a film where a man punches a shark and outruns a volcano. We then went to Taybarns, a restaurant she bloody loves — it’s an all-you-can-eat place with the quality of a school canteen. She firstly shoved about 18 packets of butter in her pockets. The lunch she chose was fish, chips, onions, jacket potato, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potato and sausage. She moved everything around the plate a bit, mashed a few things up and announced she was finished, before making me get her the most enormous bowl of ice-cream I’ve ever seen, which she ate whilst smacking her lips together happily. Sigh.
7. I brought home 11 new cookbooks over Christmas. Eleven. Yes, five were presents, but that still means I bought SIX.
8. Ashley had a birthday and she made a cake! It’s a very good cake. In fact, I’d say it’s an amazing cake.
9. Did you see my video with James? It’s one of the best ones I’ve done. He’s teaching us how to make a basic white loaf, and it was bloody delicious I tell you.
10. I’ve had my hair chopped off! I accidentally set it on fire when it was long, so I decided it was right for a change.
So. It’s been a while. How are you?
Love, Amy xxx