Last week, Viva strawberries got in touch asking if I’d like to try a strawberry jar salad. I’m not gonna lie, I was dubious. It sounded totally weird and a little bit gross – I knew that salads in a jar were a thing, but strawberry salads?! I don’t even like pineapple on pizza, a strawberry jar salad just sounded weird and wrong.
Thankfully, when it arrived, it was actually bloody lovely.
If you haven’t seen salads in jars before, I promise you that it’s A Thing. You put the dressing in first, then all the juicy bits like meat and cheese and vegetables, and leafy things on top. This way the leafy things don’t get all gross and soggy from the dressing. Everything stays nice and fresh, and it looks cool too.
Viva strawberries were cultivated in the UK but are grown in Spain. This is supposed to give you the beautiful taste of a British strawberry, but slightly earlier than you get actual British strawberries because it’s so flipping cold in the UK we have to wait until summer. As someone who spends most of the year longing for summer to come back so I can have lovely tasting strawberries on my cereal in the morning rather than the sad ones I’ve been eating up to this point, I can appreciate that! I imagine I’ll be making this salad to eat again and again through the summer.
There are also lots of other cool strawberry recipes on the Viva website. I’ve got my eye on the strawberry and almond macaroons…
And below is a video showing you how to make the salad:
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 100g of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 250g of strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 100g of feta, cubed
- A handful of rocket
- A handful of shredded mint
- The juice of half a lemon
- Pour the balsamic vinegar and olive oil into a 500g Kilner jar and season with a pinch of salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Shake well
- Add the chickpeas, then the strawberries, then the rocket, then the feta and the mint. Do not let the salad leaves touch the dressing
- Squeeze over the lemon and seal the jar
- To serve, shake the jar so the dressing coats everything and eat immediately