This isn’t your everyday rice pudding. The only ingredients in this rice pudding are sweet rice, water and sweetener. That makes it a quick and filling pudding that can be flavoured with whatever you like.
My mum makes rice pudding in the oven with her dinner. I can’t do it, I’ve tried several times. I think she uses witchcraft to make it work. This is made on the hob in a saucepan like normal rice and it’s absolutely delicious. Takes ten, fifteen minutes tops and can be had for dessert OR breakfast. Oh yes. More breakfast ideas are coming at you.
Put the rice and water in a small saucepan and mix with a fork. Add the sweetener and bring to the boil.
Let it bubble away until the water is absorbed and the rice is fluffy. Stir with a fork rather than a spoon to keep the rice soft and puffed up. It should take about ten minutes.
Whilst it’s cooking, prepare some fruit to serve on top.
If you want to mix it up a bit you can add some Nutella or cocoa powder to it and stir through just before you tip it into a bowl.
And now, enjoy!
- One cup/mug of sweet rice
- Three cups/mugs of water
- Cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, Nutella etc (Optional)
- Bananas, strawberries, other fruits (Optional)
- Put the rice and water in a small saucepan and mix with a fork. Add the sweetener and bring to the boil
- Let it boil until the water is absorbed and the rice is fluffy - about 10-15 minutes. Add extra water if needed
- Stir through any spices/flavours as desired and serve with fruit on top