The final thing #ASDASummer sent me were crumpets. But not just any crumpets. These are special, square crumpets that are designed to fit nicely into your toaster so you can easily get delicious toasted crumpets first thing in the morning when you’re too bleary to do anything that involves using hot things without giving yourself some pretty nasty burns (I’ve been there more than I’d like to admit).
I liked them because they are bigger than normal crumpets, but I’m a greedy git.
And that, smeared across the top of the crumpet, is my Peach and Raspberry Jam. This is the first time I’ve ever made jam, and I’m incredibly proud of it.
A crumpet smeared with this jam, some posh coffee and the sofa is the best way I can think of to spend a Sunday morning.
And making it is surprisingly easy! Just watch you don’t get splattered by the jam when it boils (it spits a lot) and you’ll be laughing. I now have two massive pots of jam, but somehow I don’t think they’re going to last long.
- 12 large peaches
- A large handful of raspberries
- The juice of one lemon
- 1kg jam sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Peel, pit and dice the peaches. Add to a large saucepan with the raspberries, the vanilla and the lemon juice. Boil for 20 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Boil the jam rapidly for 15 minutes
- Remove the jam from the heat and leave to cool for 15 minutes. Put the jam into sterilised jars and leave to cool completely