So, although I said I wasn’t doing anything with Garry for Valentine’s Day, we did do something for you.
This is Garry’s recipe for chocolate whoopie pies. I always forget how nice these are – we go for months, years without making them, randomly make a batch and devour them almost instantly. They’re utterly, utterly delicious.
The recipe is below. This is our gift to you – a recipe that definitely, definitely shows how much I love you!
- 125g of butter
- 150g of chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids
- 225g of golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 250g of flour
- 30g of cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 125g of butter, softened
- 260g of icing sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons of milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray or two with greaseproof paper
- Melt the butter and the chocolate together, then set aside
- Whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract together in another bowl. Add the melted chocolate to the eggs, a little at a time, folding in well between each addition. You can add more chocolate at once once the initial lot has been mixed in
- With a sieve, sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder and then fold this, again a little at a time, into the chocolate mixture. It will thicken quickly - eventually you'll have a very thick, cake-like mixture
- Place heaped tablespoons of the mixture onto your baking tray, well spaced out. Bake for 7-9 minutes until firm and cracked on top. Leave to cool
- Whist the pies cool, make the buttercream. Beat half of the icing sugar with the butter until soft and fluffy. Then add the remaining icing sugar and beat quickly, adding splashes of milk until you get a lovely light buttercream
- Pair up the pies, finding couples that are roughly the same size. Add a layer of buttercream to one of the pies (on the flat side) and sandwich together