I’ve said before that I struggle with breakfast. Cereal just doesn’t do it for me, I can never be arsed to cook bacon or anything and sometimes you need something more substantial in your tummy than a fruit salad. That’s why I was delighted when I discovered eggy bread.
Takes about 5-10 minutes, can be flavoured differently to suit your mood and is definitely absolutely scrummy. I now have it a few times a week. Delicious.
Beat and egg with a sprinkle of sugar/sweetener and, if using, some spices. Then soak the bread in it, both sides, until the egg is all mopped up and the bread is saturated.
Heat a frying pan until it’s very hot, then turn the heat to medium. Either spray with Fry Light or melt a big knob of butter in the pan. Then fry your bread, flipping it over so that both sides get nice and golden.
I like to top mine with a little fruit, usual frozen mixed berries that I’ve stewed gently just so they’re soft and warm through.
- A slice (or two) of bread
- A large egg for every slice of bread
- Butter/Fry Light
- Sweetener/sugar (Optional)
- A pinch of cinnamon/nutmeg (optional)
- Beat the egg. Add a sprinkle of sugar/sweetener and/or spices, if you like
- Soak the bread in the egg mix, both sides, until the egg is all mopped up and the bread is saturated
- Heat a frying pan until it's very hot, then turn the heat to medium. Either spray the pan with Fry Light or melt a big knob of butter in the pan. Then fry your bread, on both sides until nice and golden
- Serve, either on its own or with a topping of warm berries/bacon/egg