I get a lot of emails fall into my inbox. Some are from people who want to pay me to insert links into my posts (yawn) or spammers trying to fool me into allowing them to post a guest blog on here (Not now, not ever). Sometimes people want to send me lovely products to review or make content with, and often I’ll say yes. And then very, very occasionally I get something that looks fun and interesting and challenging, and that I immediately know I’m going to participate in.
Recently this happened with Buyagift’s Three Pound Challenge. Buyagift has teamed up with The Trussell Trust to help raise awareness of how difficult it is to feed yourself on a small budget – something that most people nowadays are finding themselves doing. They challenged people to make a delicious meal for two for less than £3, with the chance to win a whole bunch of cool prizes if the judges think your meal is the best. If you want to enter (and you should!) you have until December 15th.
This is my meal – easy special fried rice with chicken. It’s a way of getting a takeaway style meal without spending money on a takeaway. Plus it’s quick, easy to make, and tastes absolutely incredible.
Even if it doesn’t necessarily look it.
Here is my receipt for the ingredients:
The rules say that you only have to count what you actually used, and that herbs/oils/spices are free. Therefore, my meal cost a grand total of £2.50 – and it will serve two comfortably.
- Around 120g chicken (1 chicken breast)
- A pinch of chilli powder
- Chinese five spice
- 75g brown rice
- 1 can of mixed carrots and peas
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- Poach the chicken in water mixed with ginger, coriander, a pinch of chilli and Chinese five spice. Remove and shred using two forks
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions
- Fry the onion and garlic gently for a minute or so, then add the drained can of peas and carrots. Stir fry until the veg is started to soften. Add one egg, and stir until the egg is gently scrambled
- Add the rice and the chicken, and crack in the other egg. Stir until the eggs are cooked
- Add soy sauce, stir through, serve